20.1.13

Musings: Haiku & Small Stones At Dusk...

“...dusk is the time when men whisper of matters about which they remain silent in the full light of the sun.” Simon Raven


Musings:  Haiku & Small Stones At Dusk...

In the twilight zone
A space heater, cuppa tea
Channel 63...

This week, the prompt/word is: Dusk




What is a haiku?
 As Leo of Haiku Heights aptly explains, a haiku is a three line poem. It shows what the author wants us to understand from it, rather than tell it directly. The limitation to a haiku is seventeen syllables. It can be at maximum, that much. If you wish to go by the traditional Japanese structure even with English haiku, you can use a 5-7-5 syllable, or 3-5-3 syllable structure





“Twilight fell: The sky turned to a light, dusky purple littered with tiny silver stars.” J.K. Rowling

Musings:  Haiku & Small Stones At Dusk...

Small Stones #20
At twilight, I turn my attention to the darkening sky
It mirrors the years that have passed by...
I imagined an awakening not a darkening
The heart remains hopeful...



What are small stones?
  According to the originators of this wonderful exercise, a small stone is a short piece of writing (prose or poetry) that precisely captures a fully-engaged moment. The process of discovering small stones is as important as the finished product. Searching for small stones will encourage you to keep all your senses; - your eyes,(and ears, nose, mouth, fingers, feelings and mind) open.




More below!



 Change, like sunshine, can be a friend or a foe, a blessing or a curse, a dawn or a dusk. William Arthur Ward

Musings:  Haiku & Small Stones At Dusk...

Small Stones #20
Today, I chatted with Susie...
We have both seen the dawn and dusk
The sun and the struggle...

We agreed life can be:
In the twilight zone
A cuppa tea
A space heater
And watching Channel 63

 Some Food for Thought: How do you handle periods of dusk in your life?  Take a moment to contemplate what Dusk means to you? Love and Peace in 2013.

I would love to hear from you: Please leave me a comment. Thank You!

PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photographs: DuskPorto Covo, JoshuaTree via Wikipedia, my personal collection.

Until Next Time…
Ask. Believe. Receive. ©
Elizabeth Obih-Frank
Mirth and Motivation
Positive Kismet 


37 comments:

  1. May your week be dawn full and dusk free... :-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enchanting shots and/or photos. Great post indeed. Thanks for sharing this masterpiece po.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photos you've added to your text. They exude a calming effect on me. Thanks for this great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind feedback Ron.
    Blessings for the week ahead! :-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Farida,
    Glad you felt the calm... I did too when i wrote this piece... Just what I needed too. TY! :-)
    Blessings for the week ahead! :-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  6. TY so much Mylene... Glad to connect with you.
    Blessings for the week ahead! :-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Emma and glad to meet you too. ;-)
    Blessings for the week ahead! :-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos. Your prose is calming. I have been through many dusks in my life so far. In most cases they have signaled the natural end of one chapter and the beginning of a new one. Difficult as it can be, life does move forward and we must do the same...

    ReplyDelete
  9. At twilight, I turn my attention to the darkening sky
    It mirrors the years that have passed by...
    I imagined an awakening not a darkening
    The heart remains hopeful...

    Splendid, Elizabeth. I really love your post today. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful words ...and the pics are amazing !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "In the twilight zone" That is the cleverest line I've read with this prompt. GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely thought. It never fails to strike me with awe and wonder when I see the sky this beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. TY Dana! Yes, we do end up realizing that we must, despite the pain, move on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Reading Pleasure... I felt a deep connection to this prompt, and the words came while chatting with a friend... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. TY Green Speck! Your kind words are appreciated. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Judith, TY! I'm delighted that you like my use of that phrase. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Michelle TY! I'm with you and that is why I love to star gaze too. :-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  18. TY WabiSabi! This was a word I connected with on many levels. :-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ideal way to spend the dusk time.. hot cuppa tea...

    ReplyDelete
  20. TY Unshakenthoughts! I thought so too... and then the Twilight Zone added a bit of mystery to our tea drinking. :-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  21. in the twilight zone - I'm right there with you - riding; each wing in the darkness!

    ReplyDelete
  22. TY Whistlingninja! Your comment put a smile on my face... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved your take on Dusk. Ah, Twilight Zone.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ty Anthonynorth! It sort of materialized in a casual conversation and worked it's way into a haiku... That's what I love about the creative process... it surfaces at will. ;-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi bodhisattvaintraining! TY for stopping by. Appreciated. :-)
    Eliz

    ReplyDelete
  26. I go with unshakenthoughts, cuppa tea at dusk. That would be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  27. TY Hazel! I'm off to make myself one now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've yet to see an episode of The Twilight Zone, but I was tempted to reference it for this prompt. Lovely pictures along with your poems--may I ask what Channel 63 is?

    ReplyDelete
  29. "Cuppa". This took ti straight away from your usual haiku. Good jump.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cool haiku and lovely small stone poem.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hope is a wonderful word, It fills your twilight with starts of expected happiness. I love coming here for the positive energy this space emanates.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love how you incorporated the quotes in your post. Really told a cool story with the haiku and pictures and small stone.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great poems and Beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing them with us :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to comment ... It is appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...